Most businesses are interested in reducing their documents printing and doing so in an environmentally friendly way. There are tools available with multifunction printers and some network printers that can help in this effort. Here are 6 tips for more Eco focused printing.
Office Document Strategies Blog
I got an e-mail the other day from a client of mine who was approached by his Canon colour mfp sales rep offering to upgrade his current unit for $56 a month savings. He wondered if this was a good idea and asked me what I thought.
Eventually all office printers come to a point in their life when they need to be replaced. Here are some reasons I have found that clients make a decision to upgrade:
Colour multifunction printers are a category of print device which continue to be popular with small business clients as well as some corporate users. Combining the monochrome capability of a traditional printer copier with the output of colour documents has built this class of device into a favourite, especially in offices with only one multifunction device.
A4 (letter/legal) mfp printers have been around for a couple of years now offering full functionality. The industry has debated whether they will eventually take over the market of A3 (ledger capable) mfps due to their lower price, smaller footprint and a growing focus on printing vs traditional copying.
What does rolling your business copier (MFP) lease mean? This is the practice of encouraging a lease holder to replace their copier or MFP with a new unit prior to the end of the current lease. It is a common practice for some companies and can lead to significant additional cost for lessees.
Getting a new MFP? Should you buy it or lease it? There are as many thoughts on this topic as there are finance people in businesses.
- some have made removable hard drives available as options
- all major manufacturers offer some form of security option which will provide levels of encryption and file removal
- there are reformating options which are available through the service settings on machines which will overright the hard drive and return the device back to factory settings.
- at minimum we reformat drives at the end of a lease and return the multifunction copier back to factory specs.
- for some brands we can remove the hard drive from the device, connect it to a computer and use drive overwrite software to wipe the data more securely.
- for clients who have concerns about security during the active use of the device we will configure equipment with the encryption options available from our suppliers, Kyocera, Samsung and Ricoh.
- if clients are exceptionally concerned about the potential of data on hard drives then we will offer to the client the ability to "buy" the hard drives from the device and we will put new drives into the device before returning. The costs of this option will vary depending upon how the manufacturer has dealt with their hard drive design. In some instances the drives have proprietary boot formats and are only available from the vendor leading to a more costly replacement.