One of the things we all know about our social media and internet activity is that it creates a large volume of data for the businesses who's tools we use.Read More
Office Document Strategies Blog
Everyone knows that we live in a time of rapid technology change. This is especially true in communication technologies as the mobile revolution has built a whole new way to attack many activities.Read More
In our office we saw two new BYOD devices (Bring Your Own Device) show up after the holiday gift giving season. Not a lot until you work it out on a percentage basis and that is over 13% increase beyond the multiple of smartphones and tablets already being used. Over 50% of our employee group has some sort of device connected to our wireless for at least part of the work day.
The recent news about the "lost" cancer reports that were sent to doctors around Ontario was the topic of some coverage on the CBC radio this morning. Why is this important? The story is really all about paperless filing.
This video outlines the issues and some tips to understand as you look to embrace the convergence and move into a more electronic filing system.
Understand the trends in the office which make it feasible to build a single system which works with your traditional paper structures and takes advantage of the advances which make electronic capability easier and lead to a better ROI.
- some have made removable hard drives available as options
- all major manufacturers offer some form of security option which will provide levels of encryption and file removal
- there are reformating options which are available through the service settings on machines which will overright the hard drive and return the device back to factory settings.
- at minimum we reformat drives at the end of a lease and return the multifunction copier back to factory specs.
- for some brands we can remove the hard drive from the device, connect it to a computer and use drive overwrite software to wipe the data more securely.
- for clients who have concerns about security during the active use of the device we will configure equipment with the encryption options available from our suppliers, Kyocera, Samsung and Ricoh.
- if clients are exceptionally concerned about the potential of data on hard drives then we will offer to the client the ability to "buy" the hard drives from the device and we will put new drives into the device before returning. The costs of this option will vary depending upon how the manufacturer has dealt with their hard drive design. In some instances the drives have proprietary boot formats and are only available from the vendor leading to a more costly replacement.
With the increasing concerns about personal and corporate privacy a properly designed paper shredding plan is necessary for all sizes of offices. Long gone are the days when any business can afford to throw documents in the waste without being sure they are destroyed in a secure fashion.