Mail room operations can be affected by many things but probably the most challenging for busy ones is the handling of mail runs which has various sizes and weights of items.Read More
Office Document Strategies Blog
Folder Inserters are a category of mailing equipment that too many potential users either don't know about or don't understand. For organizations with a need for repeated mailings in medium to large volumes they can be a substantial time and cost saving solution.
Here's a quick summary of some of the things to consider when looking them over.
How many different jobs am I going to need to set up for?
What is the highest amount of sheets I am going to insert into one envelope?
- I need to insert adverts that are half page like a coupon (this will require a 2nd feeder called an insert feeder tray) - put it on your want list
- I need to insert a second full sheet advert after perhaps an invoice (this will require a 2nd full feeder tray) - Perhaps a third as well
- My confidential invoices are more than one page what are my choices here as to folding and inserting?
- Check – Is your printer OMR or BCR (optical mark recognition) capable? (This is the process of capturing human-marked data these barcodes can tell the folder inserter how many pages need to be put together for the one envelope.) Very important for confidentiality and security especially when pages are various sizes coming from different feeders. If this is the case you need to make sure the folder inserter is “OMR” capable as well. You also want to ask how the folder inserter “COLLATES” (In printing, the term Collate refers to the gathering and arranging of individual sheets or other printed components into a pre-determined sequence. Basically, Collating creates consistent, logical sets from multiple parts.) This means the pages are pulled separately then folded in order together. You also want to make sure your adverts can get nested within or folded on their own.
- If you manually separate your invoices you may want to staple together to avoid wrong information going into an envelope so your question is, will the folder inserter take “STAPLES?”
I have several different size envelopes and the address location varies -How does this work?
- How many different folds can the folder do that will assure the address is shown properly in the envelope window
- Make sure you understand what machineable envelopes are so you don’t create an issue when folding and inserting (example the dreaded invitation style envelopes)= non machineable
- How user friendly is the machine to be able to set this up if a job changes or does that require a service call.
- As a vendor, (Leppert Business Systems), we always request samples to test all the client's materials to make sure they meet the unit's specifications. This also stops clients from finding out after the fact the machine can’t do the job it was bought to do.
How do I figure out how robust a machine I need?Read More
One of the common tedious roles in offices is the folding, inserting and processing of larger volumes of mail. A big instance of this is with payroll systems where paper cheques are used and where information inserts need to be added to each envelope.Read More
If you are buying or renting a postage meter in Canada you essentially have three choices of manufacturer. Many people think that there is only one meter rental company authorized to sell postage equipment in Canada. In fact there are three companies who are the manufacturers of equipment and who have approval from Canada Post for providing postage meters. These companies in alphabetical order are: Francotyp-Postalia Canada, Neopost Canada and Pitney Bowes Canada.
In July 2015, Canada Post announced new proposed postage rates for implementation effective January 11 2016. There are always several components to a postal rate change as there are many categories of rate.
The rate most commonly looked at is the single stamp rate which is currently $1.00 per stamp, unchanged from the previous rate. In the July announcement Canada Post proposed to increase the bulk purchase rate (the way many people buy stamps in bundles of 10 or more) from $0.85 to $0.90 effective with the new rates.Read More
One of the documents that is most frequently referenced from our collection of office document tools is the Guide to Postage Meters Canada. This document outlines many of the hidden and confusing practices of the postage meter industry.Read More
In our increasingly electronic society we often forget to think about some of the other options which may be available for contacting our customers and prospective clients. Mail is one of those strategies which can often be over looked. In many businesses the postage system is forgotten simply because it takes a different effort to make use of it.Read More